dimanche 27 janvier 2008

An order of worship for January 28 - praying with Denmark, Sweden, Iceland, Finland and Norway

Worship in the Ecumenical Centre
Monday 28 January 2008
Praying with Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Iceland and Norway

This service will be led by Rev. Matti Peiponen from Finland and Rev. Elenora Giddings Ivory from the US.
The sermon will be given by Dr Bob Edgar, former general secretary of the National Council of Churches in the USA and now president of Common Cause.

Welcome and call to worship

We rise to worship the Triune God
And sing “Praise the God of all creation, God of mercy and compassion” Agape 73

Psalm 27
The Lord is my light and my salvation;
whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life;
of whom shall I be afraid?
Though an army encamp against me,
my heart shall not fear;
though war rise up against me,
yet I will be confident.
I will sing and make melody to the Lord.
Hear, O Lord, when I cry aloud,
be gracious to me and answer me!
If my father and mother forsake me,
the Lord will take me up.
Teach me your way, O Lord,
and lead me on a level path.
Do not give me up to the will of my adversaries,
for false witnesses have risen against me,
and they are breathing out violence.
I believe that I shall see the goodness of the Lord
in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong, and let your heart take courage;
wait for the Lord!

Taizé Chant : The Lord is my light, my light and salvation in God I trust, in God I trust

Prayer of repentance
Father, you see all the enmity which grows
because we behave wrongly and unforgivingly.

We create distances where we should create closeness.
We hide behind ideologies and doctrines instead of coming closer to one another.

Thank you for giving us reconciliation
through your Son, Jesus Christ.
Thank you for forgiving all those who sin.

Let your church break through all differences and live reconciliation.
Help us to take the first step.
Gerd Grønvald Saue, Norway

Taizé Chant : The Lord is my light, my light and salvation in God I trust, in God I trust.


Gospel reading ~ Matthew 5.1-11
When Jesus saw the crowds, he went up the mountain; and after he sat down, his disciples came to him. Then he began to speak, and taught them, saying:
‘Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
‘Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
'Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
‘Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.
‘Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy.
‘Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.
‘Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
‘Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
‘Blessed are you when people revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely* on my account. 12Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Sing Agape 33 Verse 1 Finnish verse 2 English verse 3 French

Meditation ~ Dr Bob Edgar

Prayers of intercession
(adapted from a prayer by women in Sweden)

We pray for those in the world who have forgotten that all people are made in your image and likeness and are of equal worth in your eyes:

For those who suffer because of racial oppression and social injustice;
For those who struggle for human dignity;
For those who have lost their hope for the future.

Lord, have mercy

We pray for the needy and suffering in the world;
For the hungry and the thirsty;
For the homeless;
For the unemployed and the unemployable;
For the victims of alcoholism;
For the victims of drug addiction;
For the sick, in mind or body;
For the lonely and the elderly.

Lord, have mercy

We pray for all parents,
that they may give their children the love and guidance which will help them to find the right way in life;

For all children without parents;
For young people, that they may find hope for the future;

Lord, have mercy
We pray for people and churches in Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden. We pray for the ecumenical and spiritual renewal of the peoples and churches in these Nordic countries.

We pray for peace between nations and goodwill among all people;
Lord, hear us!

Lord, have mercy

The Lord’s prayer said by each in their own language.

Blessing
Lord, be before us to guide us,
be behind us to push us,
be beneath us to carry us,
be above us to bless us,
be around us to protect us,
be in us so that in body and soul
we serve you for the glory of your Name.
Bishop Nathan Söderblom, Sweden

Sing ~ O Healing River Agape 64

0 Comments: